Bamboo needs no introduction as you should know by now that we use FSC-certified bamboo to make all our toothbrushes.
Here are 16 interesting facts about bamboo that you probably didn't know.
1. Bamboo is a giant grass and not a tree. They will flower, but some species are monocarpic meaning they will only flower once and then they'll die. Another species only flower once every 120 years!
2. Bamboo is an ideal plant to be grown on slopes as it helps with erosion control.
3. Mature bamboo groves release 35% more oxygen than the same area of trees.
4. You probably know that bamboo grows really fast, but did you know that it's the fastest growing land plant in the world?
5. Bamboo shoots, stems, branches, and leaves make up 99% of a panda's diet, which translates up to 40kg of bamboo daily.
6. Most species of bamboo are drought tolerant. When thirsty, their leaves curl up to shy away from heat, and they shed leaves to reduce their need for hydration.
7. Bamboo does not require chemicals, fertilizers, pesticides or constant watering to grow.
8. Some bamboo species have colors as unique as gold, blue, red, and purple.
9. The first firecrackers were made in China using bamboo.
10. Bamboo leaves make delicious tea.
11. Bamboo is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
12. Bamboo is burnt at super high temperatures up to 1200°C, thus creating activated carbon which can be used to absorb, purify and deodorize the surrounding atmosphere.
13. Raddiella Vanessiae, the world's smallest bamboo grows up to 2cm tall.
14. Steel has a tensile strength of 23,000 pounds per square inch (psi). But bamboo surpasses steel with a noticeable 28,000 pounds psi.
15. Thomas Edison bought bamboo from Japan and used carbonized bamboo filaments for lamps in his early experiments.
16. Bamboo toothbrushes are being used to replace plastic ones to help mitigate climate change.
Do you know of any more cool facts about bamboo? Share it in the comments below.
Don't forget to follow us on Shopee or simply subscribe to neuhabitat.com today.